Think Globally, Act Locally
Producing products locally dramatically reduces our emissions for shipping and transporting raw materials. It also allows us to take the time to get to know the people who make our goods. We are proud to know firsthand that our manufacturing teams maintain the highest standards of workplace ethics and environmental responsibility. We work, whenever possible, with vertically integrated facilities where everything from dyeing to knitting is done in one location, further reducing our products’ carbon footprint. And since we produce and do business in California, which has the strictest environmental laws in the nation, we are held to the highest possible standards. We like that! For some of our products that cannot be made here in California, we partner globally with fair trade artisans to produce our materials ethically, providing women with fair-wage jobs in safe working conditions. We also visit these factories and remain in constant contact with our partners to ensure that they are meeting these same high standards.
Our production process is geared to reduce waste and energy use wherever possible. We strive to ensure all workers receive fair treatment and compensation.
We have close relationships with all the factories we work with and visit them regularly to ensure employees are being treated and paid fairly and the working conditions are clean and safe.
Engineered Digital Prints
We use digital printing for the majority of our prints. Compared with traditional wet printing, this process reduces water use (since it requires less wash and rinse cycles) and fabric waste (since we can adjust a print to fit a garment]. There are also no screens or colorant baths that need cleaning.
Manufactured in the USA
All of our swimwear is made in the United States and the majority is crafted locally in California. Domestic production not only supports the economy and ensures employees are protected under USA labor laws, it also contributes to far less carbon emissions and pollution than companies who rely on an international supply chain.
Our Headquarters & Warehouse
Vitamin A is committed to sustainability in every aspect of operations. We’ve implemented a variety of measures at our headquarters and warehouse to reduce our overall environmental footprint.
- -Every lightbulb has been replaced with LEDs, reducing our electricity demand by as much as 90%
- -Every individual office has its own Nest thermostat to provide intelligent heating and cooling based on occupancy.
- -Solar cooling fans in the warehouse provide off-grid cooling when sun is shining and internal temperatures are above 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
- -Smart weather-controlled irrigation based on actual ET (evapotranspiration) of the plants, weather and soil type.
- -All water fixtures, including toilets and faucets, are low-flow.
- -Occupancy sensor lights are placed wherever possible to reduce energy usage.
- -We provide no disposable eating products for onsite lunches — only reusable glass, flatware, and dishes.
- -All paper products are made of 100% recycled post-consumer waste.
- -All appliances are Energy Star rated.
- -We provide filtered water produced onsite to eliminate disposable plastic water bottle usage.
- -We utilize a heat reclamation system from our server room in the winter to heat the office space.
- -We support our team working from home instead of commuting when possible — creating less congestion and pollution.
We are as vigilant about our packaging as we are about our garments themselves. We research and source the most sustainable materials we can find and we never use more than needed, especially when shipping.
Our boxes are made from 100% post-consumer and post-industrial content (no virgin fibers included). They are fully recyclable and biodegradable. Made in the USA and Chain of Custody certified by the Forest Stewardship Council.
Each of our garments comes in a flap and seal bag made from 100% recycled materials. Durable and tamper resistant, they’re easy to recycle themselves. Made in the USA.